6 Tips For Preventing Electrical Shocks

5 October 2015
 Categories: , Blog


When you get shocked by electricity, it possible to experience muscle pain, severe burns, seizures and even cardiac arrest, according to the Mayo Clinic  However, learning how to use electricity the right way can help you avoid serious injuries. Here are six helpful tips for preventing electrical shocks:

Do not Run Too Many Appliances in the Same Outlets

It is not a wise idea to plug in too many appliances in the same outlet. For example, if you plug in your television, lamp and computer in the same outlet, the outlet can overheat. To avoid electrical shock and a possible electrical fire, do not plug more than one or two appliances in one outlet.

Look Out for Damaged Electrical Equipment

If you notice that your electrical equipment frequently short circuits or has frayed wires, it is damaged and not safe to use. If you do not have any experience with electrical work, do not try to fix the damaged equipment by yourself. Have an experienced electrician inspect the equipment and determine the best way to repair it.

Take Off Your Rings

If you plan on doing electrical work, you should remove all of your rings first. The metal is a conductor and can make your body more susceptible to electrical shocks. Rings can also snag on wires and other components when you are doing electrical work.

Replace Broken Wall Plates

Wall plates do not just hide unattractive electrical wiring; they also protect your fingers from electrical shocks. If you notice that one of your wall plates is cracked, it is time to replace it right now. A damaged wall plate will not be as effective at protecting your fingers from electrical wiring.

Keep Appliances Away from Sources of Water

If it is feasible, you should keep all of your appliances away from sources of water. For example, if you leave a blow-dryer next to the sink and it accidentally falls in, you could get shocked trying to retrieve it.

Use the Right Ladder

If you have to use a ladder to finish an electrical project, you should avoid using an aluminum one, as it can conduct electricity. An insulated fiberglass ladder is a lot safer to use.

Taking the proper precautions can help you avoid electrical shocks in the future. If you ever have a question about any of the electrical equipment in your home, you should contact a reputable electrician (like those at PWPC Electrical Services).


Share